365 days of strategic thinking

Saturday, August 21, 2010

127) Photo Shoot


This week has been a series of uncharacteristic Natalie behavior that culminated in a photo shoot this morning. The lovely and talented Laura of Laura Elle Photography came out to shoot some photos of me in a couple of my favorite Santa Monica spots (photo above not from shoot). When Laura first offered her services, I was hesitant and wish-washed for about six months. I'm not really the type of person to jump in front of a camera. Not to mention that the thought of a bunch of photos of myself seemed a little self-indulgent. But in the end, I was really glad that I went through with it. It was fun to take direction from her, and we got some great shots. There's no way I'll regret having these pictures of SaMo to look back on.

One really interesting thing that I learned from Laura was the importance of branding for wedding photographers. For some reason, I was under the naive impression that people chose wedding photographers (a highly, highly saturated group, especially in SoCal) based on the pictures they took. Turns out that it is actually the self-branding and client handling that often distinguish a photographer. Of course, you're not going to choose someone who is a notorious douchebag behind the camera. Having not been a bride yet, I imagine it's a more subtle differentiation.

0 comments: