365 days of strategic thinking

Thursday, August 19, 2010

125) Stylist Relations


Today I received what could possibly be my last haircut from my LA stylist, Jesse (Floyds 99, Venice - go. He's amazing!). As I sat enjoying it, I realized some similarities between a relationship with a stylist is to a relationship with a significant other. The parallels between a first visit and a first date - the same get-to-know-you conversation, uncertainty in a future together. The good ones are hard to find - it took nearly 5 years of bouncing around from LA stylist to LA stylist until I found him (the whole, have to kiss a lot of frogs thing). He makes you feel great about yourself. It involves trust - who else would you let trim your bangs with sharp scissors right in front of your eyeballs, or brandish a hot iron so close to your neck? And finally, in my leaving LA & Jesse, I have to keep reassuring myself that he is not the last man who will cut my hair well.

0 comments: