365 days of strategic thinking

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

109) Rip n' Go


I was at the grocery store yesterday restocking my foodless apartment, when these babies caught my eye in the granola bar section. Growing up, my family had always been brand loyal to Quaker Chewy, so the sight of the stacked bars minus the white box made me look twice. As you can see, the stack is held together with a sticker label that's perforated for easy ripping on the run. See them in action here. According to the label, this method of packaging uses 33% less material than the standard box, and as a result 6,000 trees per year are saved.

Thinking this was a brand-spanking new product, I looked them up online when I got home, only to find that the sustainable packaging niche blogs had been all over it back at the end of June. Despite the fact that this isn't breaking news, I still think it deserves a nod. When large food companies like Quaker make sustainable changes to their packaging, however small, it's called progress. And to give it a cool name and market it as convenient for the consumer? Bonus.

0 comments: