365 days of strategic thinking

Sunday, August 8, 2010

114) The Ultimate Job


At an age where we couldn't possibly know the answer, we are all asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" The answers are always vague - a fireman, a doctor, an actress. Then when we graduate from college, we are asked, "So, what are you going to do now?" At this point, the answers are a little more detailed - training to be an EMT, going to med school to become a surgeon, moving to LA to pursue musical theatre.

But once we're out in the real world, we are rarely asked to define exactly what we want to do, or who we want to be. Tonight I met up with an old friend who pushed me to explain in specifics what I ultimately wanted to do. If I could imagine the pinnacle of my career, what position I would hold. And I couldn't quite give a satisfactory answer. Sure, I have an idea of the direction I'd like to pursue. But when asked to name the end all be all job, I came up short.

In our mid-twenties, we may not be expected to know exactly who we will become career-wise. But is there something to be said about having a specific goal in mind (however fluid and changing), instead of feeling around, hoping you'll stumble upon the right job? Or by defining it, do you blind yourself of other possible paths?

PS - How wonderfully cheesy is the image above? I found it on the blog of a self-proclaimed Chief Happiness Officer.

0 comments: