365 days of strategic thinking

Thursday, August 12, 2010

118) Long Lost Blogroll


While I was at goodness Mfg., I used a laptop supplied by the company as my work and personal computer. Over the two year period, I built up a fairly robust blogroll, or list of blogs and websites that I visited daily. It was a healthy combination of all my interest areas - news, tech, trends, fashion, food, photography, design, etc. Some were well-known, and others had been serendipitous, stumble-upon discoveries.

When I left my job, I lost my computer, and with it, my bookmarks. (Mini aside - some of you are wringing your hands and thinking, Google Reader silly! I get how great it is and have tried using it in the past, but I can't get over the fact that some feeds don't pull in images. Which means you have to click through to the post anyways. Plus, there's something to be said about viewing posts in context - something is lost when the blog design is missing. Lastly, putting a number on how many posts you haven't read is terrifying.) I've got a new rig now, and have slowly been restoring my blog roll to its former glory.

Easier said than done, having to pull maybe a hundred sites out of my memory. But I'm finding that the process is a cathartic trip down a digital memory lane. Each re-discovery is a little like running into an old friend that you haven't seen in awhile. You try to catch up on what's been happening, comment on what's new or changed, and promise to keep in better touch (by adding it to the blogroll).

0 comments: