365 days of strategic thinking

Monday, July 12, 2010

87) Peck Peck


Here in Spain, it's customary to give two kisses to the cheeks in greeting, even if it's someone you've just met. It's casual enough - two kisses and you're done. The other day, I tried to explain to one of my European classmates how unthinkable this was in the US (correction - parts of the US). I think the phrase I used was, "an invasion of personal space." In general, we Americans like to keep our distance until we've established that the other is germ and crazy-free. Casual or not, lips getting anywhere near one's face carries some social weight. In order to be appropriate, it requires a certain relationship (i.e. girl friend: yes. teacher: no) or situation.

I wonder then, what the equivalent would be for Europeans. If strangers are greeted with cheek kisses, then what does one do to signal interest? Is it just a different kind of kiss? How torturous to greet the object of your affection with casual, seemingly neutral kisses. Maybe I'll ask some of the Europeans and South Americans in my class. Just something I've been thinking about.

0 comments: