365 days of strategic thinking

Monday, July 5, 2010

80) That Feeling

I entered UCLA as a wide-eyed comparative literature major. Having taken (and loved) AP English and AP French Lit, I came in with conviction in my choice. My first quarter, I selected a couple requisite comp lit classes, but also enrolled in the Intro to Communications course. I can still remember the day our lesson plan included "Intro to Advertising." It was the most basic of overviews, but the whole lecture I was sitting at the edge of my seat, leaning forward, nodding furiously. I had never felt such complete absorption in any subject before. The very next day I filed the paperwork to declare myself a Communication Studies major. I put myself on the path to advertising and haven't looked back since.

Today in my first Coolhunting class, for the second time in my life, I felt it again. The complete fascination, every neuron in my brain laser-focused on what the professor was saying. I can't even begin to explain in any coherent way what I was experiencing. It felt like new channels were bursting open in my head - new ways of thinking, of connecting things, of seeing the world. And this was Day 1 - all we went over was the syllabus, and some basic terminology.

They say that if you find a job you love, you'll never work a day in your life. The same can be said about subjects in school. If you find something you love - that is truly fascinating and inspiring - class ceases to feel like class.

0 comments: