365 days of strategic thinking

Sunday, July 4, 2010

79) The Fourth


I hesitate to write about this, since my sample size is considerably small, but it's relevant so here I go. This year, there seems to be an increase in the number of "Happy 4th of July" related status updates on Facebook, at least among my friends. Perhaps I'm especially sensitive to such messages, since I'm in a country where July 4th is just another day. But maybe (just maybe) it's a manifestation of a larger cultural upswing in patriotism. Again, I'm wary to draw any real conclusions from this observation, but the very idea of measuring patriotism year to year by the number of July 4th shout outs is intriguing. And given Facebook's wealth of demographic info, the measurement can be tailored by region, age, etc.

Just some quick thoughts before bed. Turning in early because class starts tomorrow. I spent the 4th at the Dali Theatre-Museum in Figueras. Amazing museum chocked full of Dali work, eccentricities, genius, etc. Pictures soon, promise. I hope everyone back in the states had (or are having) a great fourth celebrating more traditionally.

0 comments: