365 days of strategic thinking

Friday, July 2, 2010

77) Jet Lag


It turns out that I'm not as hardy a traveler as I thought I was, because I've been battling some serious jet lag today. I'd like to think I'm just out of practice, having not been this far away from CA since I graduated high school (oh, the shame). Mainly, I'm tired at all the wrong times, and wide awake dreadfully early in the morning. There's also some unsettled stomach action, which makes it difficult to adjust to meal times. Someone poetic once said that jet lag is just your soul catching up to your body. Damnit, soul, hurry up.

But this got me thinking. While it's been a great comfort to check in to Facebook once in awhile, could it be contributing to the jet lag? Seeing the natural rhythms of the day mirrored in status updates - not only content, but also frequency of posts - keeps me in the mindset of PST. Just as it's advised not to keep calculating what time it is back home, could the continued use of Facebook be hindering my Spanish circadian rhythm?

I'd like to think that jet lag is more physical than mental. Hopefully this is just the musing of a jet lagged traveler, because I have no intention of banning Facebook. Ask me again in a couple days once class begins and when this inconvenient lag has passed.

0 comments: