365 days of strategic thinking

Thursday, July 29, 2010

104) The Final

To all the people who chose to go to grad school, I salute you. After two blissful years of no assignments, homework or finals, I found myself faced with one very massive final presentation due, well, today (it's 2:48AM in BCN). Sure, the content has theoretically been a month in the making. But I'm talking about the sit-your-butt-down and crank it out part. The analyzing, piecing together and the polishing.

Maybe I'm just out of practice, but procrastination levels were high. It could also be that I'm in a gorgeous city on a one-month getaway, but surely I can spend a few hours away from the sights and the eats? Apparently not, because I stress-ate my way through a box of cookies (count: 12. But they were those square ones with the piece of chocolate on top) and a package of Special K bars (count: 6) today. In my defense, consumption was spread out over 12 or so hours and other than that I didn't have any real meals, though I guess that doesn't make it any less gross.

I'd forgotten what it was like to be a student, in the most basic sense. And now that I'm reminded, I'm not sure if I like it. I know I was gushing at the beginning of the course about how interesting it was, and it still is. Somehow my enthusiasm couldn't override my general aversion to this final product. Why is that? I remember having this same conversation about work. They say if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. That's all well and fine, but are those people really immune from the day to day stresses of the job?

In any case, it's done, and I'm rambling. It's definitely time for bed.

0 comments: