365 days of strategic thinking

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

75) Up In The Air


As you're reading this, I'm up in the air (above...bah dum, tishhh) somewhere between Philadelphia and Barcelona. I'm most likely curled up awkwardly against the window, hoodie up and (hopefully) sound asleep. I'm not a huge fan of flying, so I've trained my body to shut down upon take off. Armed with saltines, Mint Milanos and Sour Patch Kids, I've been nibbling, sipping, but mostly sleeping my way across the country, and now over to Europe.

As cliché as it sounds, airports are great people watching hubs. There's something very poetic about the whole idea of airports being these connected networks where people's paths briefly cross. I like watching people say goodbye right before security, trying to guess the relationships, creating back stories in my head. The loads of people coming and going always make me feel small and insignificant, like seeing a picture of the universe but on a much smaller scale.

So begins my one month stint in Barcelona. If I play my cards right, I'll be set up to write the July 1st entry from my apartment, and there won't be any break in posts. If you haven't already guessed, I'm writing today's (well, tomorrow's) post the night before (tonight), seeing as I'll be in the air all day (tricksy Natalie!). I know my time in Spain will fly by, and I'm excited to see what kind of writing (and new life direction?) comes of it. I'll be sure to sprinkle in photos and stories amongst the posts. ¡hasta luego!

0 comments: