365 days of strategic thinking

Friday, June 18, 2010

63) Last Day


Almost exactly two years ago, I had just graduated from UCLA. I only knew two things: 1) I wanted to work in advertising and 2) I wanted to stay in LA. I set about reaching out to agencies through acquaintances and job postings. After turning down a couple offers (I had the audacity to be choosy back then- I got in right before the job market went down the you know what), I accepted a job at a digital ad agency that specialized in SEM campaigns. But about a week before my start date, my aunt told me about a small ad agency that her employee's boyfriend had started in Venice.

goodness Mfg. was my dream first job. Its size exposed me to every facet of an agency, and allowed me unthinkable access to some of the greatest creatives in the business. And not simply access - we became like a family working out of that little house on Zeno Place. These past two years have been an accelerated course in account management, in project management, in production. I could not have asked for a better first job out of school. I'm so thankful (and sometimes, I still have to pinch myself) that they saw something in me, guided me, and embraced me as part of family.

Today was my last day at goodness. It's time to explore other avenues, and Spain is a big part of that. Maybe I'll end up trying to get a job in planning at another agency, or maybe I'll look into something completely different. Either way, I'll always look back on goodness fondly. The people I met, the projects I worked on, the good times, the bad - there's so much to reflect on, and this may or may not be the place to do so. This is definitely one of those ends of a chapter in the proverbial and oh-so-cliche book of life.

Mini aside - They took my (the company's) laptop away, so I jumped on an abandoned intern desktop. Thankfully I'm flying home tomorrow morning where I'll somehow obtain a laptop. Posts will continue! Hopefully they'll get back to being more observant and analytical, as it's gotten quite personal as of late. Thanks to everyone who checks in - your support has meant a lot to me!

0 comments: