365 days of strategic thinking

Monday, June 28, 2010

73) Paychecks


After ten days of unemployment, I've come to realize the importance of self-sufficiency. Don't get me wrong - the time off has been amazing. But having started working immediately after I graduated, I've taken for granted the stability that a regular paycheck provides. This might sound like an obvious point, but it's not so much that I loved making money, and it's not as if I'm borderline broke now that I'm not working. However, I've discovered that without a steady paycheck, spending any amount of money kills me.

I know that the money spent to study in Spain for a month is an investment in the experience. But sometimes, it's difficult not to see it as everything I'd saved from my two years at goodness flying out the door at once. Obviously, what I gained from goodness is far greater than just a chunk of change. The people, the connections, the resume-building experience. Ultimately, all that is much more valuable than money in the bank. Unfortunately, it's that money in the bank that's getting me to Spain.

People I've consulted have told me not to worry so much, especially if I'm not splurging. But isn't a month of travel abroad splurging in itself? Won't there be countless restaurants to try, museums to see, day trips on which to embark? Will my carpe Spain attitude get the best of my personal finance habits?

I hope I don't come off as ungrateful, or god forbid, whiny - I'm aware that not everyone has the financial opportunity to travel. And yes, unemployment is temporary. I guess I just never realized how comforting - financially and psychologically - a regular paycheck can be.

(Note - today's image by Natalie Dee has absolutely nothing to do with the post. I know there's a perfectly relevant Dilbert comic that has to do with paychecks out there, but I wasn't able to find it.)

0 comments: