365 days of strategic thinking

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

67) Super Fandom


On Sunday night, my parents took Dylan and I to see Wicked at the Orpheum in San Francisco. I had already seen it twice in LA, but jumped at the chance to see it again. Combine the fact that I watched The Wizard of Oz a hundred times as a child, and that I have a not so secret love of musicals, and you've got one hardcore Wicked fan. Or so I thought.

We took our seats in the Orchestra section, the closest I've ever been to the stage. Five minutes later, enter Wicked super fan stage right. Her short red hair is festooned with bright green feathers, which through the miracle of stage glue or sheer fan will stay put throughout the show. Long green earrings ending in little metal witch hats graze her shoulders. Her shirt, of course, is Kermit the Frog green. Before sitting down directly in front of us, she turns around to survey the rest of the theater. She turns to her friend, disgusted and says, "Only four people are wearing green in here."

As one of the 19,996 that didn't wear green that evening, I kept my eye on Ms. Super Fan. She proceeded to explain the entire (fictional) map that hung down before the curtain went up to her companion. "We can listen to the CD on the way back," she propositioned, before quickly changing her mind. "Maybe not. The songs will still be fresh from the show, and I'll want to hear them in my head." It was clear from the way she talked that this wasn't her first Wicked rodeo. It was more like her ninth.

What is the ingredient that makes someone a super fan? There's enthusiasm borne of pure love and enjoyment, but I'd venture to say that there's something additional at work. I for one, do not have the super fan bone in me. There's nothing I would stand in line for more than two hours to get or see. And though I adore Wicked, I'm only willing to see it again if someone else is paying for the (expensive!) tickets.

But clearly, there's a culture of super fans out there. The Gleeks, the Twi-hards(Team Jacob!), and the thousands of wouldbe wizards in Hogwarts robes waiting for opening night (see above). So what makes me different from a super fan? Have I simply not encountered anything in life that is worthy of super fandom? Is the diehard fan in me lying dormant, just waiting? Cracking this super fan code - who is inclined to be a super fan vs. those who will never go out of their way - would be a powerful tool for brands. As usual, more questions, few answers.

0 comments: