365 days of strategic thinking

Thursday, March 31, 2011

349) Beauty in Data


(Beautiful nonsense infographics from Datavisualization.ch)

I was just writing something when I stopped to google "collaboration synonym" in order to find an alternate word. Then a data idea hit me - what if we could see the frequency of words that were searched in junction with the word "synonym" over time? Not only would this be a reflection of how much certain words were used in a given year, but also which ones we wanted to replace. (My top 2 - interesting and fascinating.)

The imagined end result would be this gorgeously designed graph of word popularity over time (a jargon map, perhaps?), as well as connections between these words and their most popular replacements. The outer layer would be this rich data set of synonyms.

(Clearly) I've become such a data nerd. It's mixing wonderfully with my word nerdom.

0 comments: