365 days of strategic thinking

Friday, March 18, 2011

336) For the Love of Seasons


(Photo by Andrew Prokos. Enlarge this puppy. Can't wait for the cherry blossoms!)

Today, I was finally able to appreciate what it means to have seasons. After a seemingly endless string of consecutive bone-chilling days, gray skies, sometimes rain, sometimes snow, at the worst times wind, it felt like spring. Not only was it a comfy 70 degrees out, but you could feel the energy change in New Yorkers as a collective. Everyone emerged from curling into themselves within their big coats and scarves, and this new exposure lifted and projected everyone's spirits.

I walked the 11 or so blocks home from my new place to my old place tonight, and was filled with this balmy happiness. And while I've probably experienced thousands of similar days in California, it never felt as special as this one. It's the juxtaposition of seasons, the hard endurance through the winter that had everyone smiling today.

(Mini aside - Long night of packing in front of me. Yearly pilgrimage to IKEA tomorrow, movers tomorrow night. Pumping myself up for a jeans-and-old-tshirt-and-backwards-cap day of productivity and manual labor.

Also - a little less than a month left of The Plan! Madness.)

0 comments: