365 days of strategic thinking

Monday, January 31, 2011

290) Doing it Differently (In Bed)



A friend of mine turned me on (buh dum tish) to Sir Richard's condoms the other night. And by turned me on to them, I mean he showed me their website as we snacked on chips and guac (this is a PG blog that my parents read). It's such a great example of doing it differently, I just had to post about it.

Sir Richard's condoms follow the buy one, give one business model - altruistic consumerism made popular by Blake Mycoskie and his simple canvas shoes. For every condom you buy, Sir Richard's will donate a condom to a country in need. Priced only a bit higher than your drug store variety, Sir Richard's boxes are only sold online or in retailers like Paul Smith and Fred Segal. One look at the package design and you know it's the perfect fit.



Furthermore, the condoms are vegan. Read that again. Apparently, most latex condoms are made with casein, a protein derived from milk. I wasn't aware that vegans cared about things they don't eat being vegan, but there are dozens of vegan condom brands, so what do I know?

My main point is that Sir Richard's does condoms differently. In a marketing category full of ads about maximum pleasure and satisfaction, Sir Richard's breaks through the clutter with their "doing good" angle. It essentially likens sex to an altruistic act. It's not only you and your partner's health and pleasure you are worrying about, it's someone in need's as well.

1 comments:

Evan said...

Sir Richard...as in Sir Richard Branson?

If so, surprising he lost his Virgin(ity) with this one (buh dum tish) :P I'm terrible.

And I see competition...
www.lovebeginswithl.com

With social enterprises/ventures...is competition a good thing? Or should they band together to cooperatively compete against the non-social enterprises/ventures out there?