365 days of strategic thinking

Saturday, January 1, 2011

260) Firm or Determined; Unwavering


(Image from life in pencil.)

In an ideal world, we would self-assess and make resolutions all year long. But in reality, we can only handle the commitment once a year. It's a symbolic fresh start, a chance to work on various aspects of our lives. Whether they last for a couple months, or sustain throughout the year, resolutions give us something to focus on.

Resolution is a pretty strong word, if you stop and think about it. It implies success - if you have resolve to do something, you'll do it. See Dictionary.com definition: Firm or determined; unwavering.

It would be so interesting to have people submit their resolutions year to year to see if any trends make themselves known. Example - in a recession year, a spike in the number of resolutions to save money or spend less. Even better would be to split the resolutions up by demographic to see what millennials are resolving to do versus the baby boomers.

Here's my list for 2011:
- Be more social in NY. My natural hermitness is at odds with my need to build a social base in NY.

- Be more social with The Plan. A huge aspect of blogging is the community built around various topics. I want to connect with other planners in the blogosphere, and get to know the people who stop and read The Plan. Thus far, you've been the strong/silent type, but I'd love to come up with ways to hear more from you/about you.

- See one Broadway show or art exhibit every month. If I can spend $50/month on a gym that I may or may not go to, I can afford to shell out the money to experience a little culture.

I'll try to post updates on how the resolutions are coming along. Maybe it'll help me hold myself to them.

0 comments: