365 days of strategic thinking

Monday, January 10, 2011

269) Stranger to Facebook Friend

One of my bosses said I looked peaked today. That's "pee-kid," as in pale and drawn in appearance so as to suggest illness or stress; wan and sickly (Dictionary.com). I have that nagging feeling that I'll be sick in a couple of days if I don't drown myself in OJ and sleep for 10 hours straight, so I'll make this one quick.

A friend of mine posed an interesting online social question the other day. If you give a guy your number and he says he'll call, do you friend him on Facebook prior to his call? On the one hand, it's a nice little reminder - hey, hi, this is me, we met the other night. But if he doesn't call, not only does your outreach go unanswered, but there's also the potential that you'll be left with an awkward new friendship.

Or how about the other way around? If he friends you, there's a good chance you'll receive that call. But does it mean anything if he doesn't? When is the right time to take the leap from practical stranger to weak-tie Facebook friend?

Social media adds a new layer of social mores onto an already complicated dating scene.

0 comments: