365 days of strategic thinking

Friday, February 18, 2011

308) Just Between Friends


(Taken earlier tonight.)

Answer from last night's post: no hugs for females. According to the video, all of Heineken's 1 million fans are men. Whether or not that's true (it's not), the brand sends a clear message about its target audience.

I'm sitting and waiting for the LES Film Festival to commence, but I'm determined not to make this a typical cell phone post. Oh shit, it's starting.

[2 hours later.]

Ok, I'm home now. This morning I went to my first PSFK event at the Soho House. Repeat readers of The Plan will know I'm a huge fan of the site, so I was little-girl excited when work gave me the ok to go. I won't go into detail about the event's topic, but if you're interested, check out The Future of Real-Time report here - it's definitely worth reading.

The idea of social media backlash came up during the panel discussion. We live in a sharing culture, where personal information made public is a good thing, and openness on the Internet is celebrated. But now we see signs of people wanting to gain back some exclusivity, at least with regards to certain aspects of their lives. Limited, or personal social networks like Path pop up, along with group communication platforms like Fast Society. These effectively strip away the weak ties that populate social networks, the technology working to instead enhance the strong ones.

Expect to see more of these personal and private social media solutions in the future.

0 comments: