365 days of strategic thinking

Friday, February 11, 2011

301) Office Culture

The office is doing after-work drinks tonight, so I'll made this speedy.

This morning, it struck me how much the recent Silicon Valley real estate grab reminds me of the board game, Risk. Google bought out the building they currently occupy in NY, and are planning to move their LA office to the Binocular Building in Venice. In the other corner, Facebook announced this week that it is taking over the massive Sun Microsystems campus in Menlo Park. Land grab, land grab!

I actually had lunch at the Google NY offices today with two friends from UCLA. I got a little walking tour of one of the floors. These "campuses" that completely flip corporate office culture on its head are increasingly common, increasingly aspirational. Everyone wants to say that they have scooters and dogs running around in their office. Think pods with bean bags instead of chairs. Etc.

0 comments: