365 days of strategic thinking

Friday, December 24, 2010

252) The Perfect Wrap

Most people don't know this about me - I'm an expert gift wrapper. I worked part time at a boutique paper store in high school and became learned in the ways of paper manipulation. For today's post, a few quick tips on the perfect wrap.

- I used to stress about cutting my edges perfectly straight, which is almost impossible to do. Now I cut willy nilly, and then fold the paper under to create a straight edge before securing with tape (length-wise). Just be sure to leave a little extra so you have enough to fold under.



- If the wrapping paper on the ends folds up a little past 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the box, you're good to go. Nothing is more annoying than cutting your paper and then not having enough at the ends to cover your gift. With this method, you should have enough to fold over to create a straight edge at the ends (see above) before taping.



- It's all about creating sharp edges. Slide your fingers along your edges as you go, to ensure crisp corners. Trust me, it makes a difference.

- A wide ribbon can be used to cover unsightly length-wise seams. Just create a tight band around the gift and secure with tape on the underside. Don't worry if it's off-center - it's more stylish that way.

- The less tape you can see, the better.

Feeling quite Martha-esque. I'm off to San Francisco with my family. Lots of love to you and yours on Xmas eve.

0 comments: