365 days of strategic thinking

Thursday, December 2, 2010

230) Past Education

I had a conversation with someone today about what I think I need to work on as a planner. Aside from generally gaining experience and putting my curiosity and thinking into actual practice, I've come to realize that I need to have a better grasp on the past. And when I say past, I mean our sociological history - the different attitudes and large cultural movements that got us to where we are today.

I've never been one for history. In high school, I opted to take US History, and not AP US History despite my other AP curriculum. To me, it wasn't worth investing time learning details from so long ago. And while I still think rote memorization of historical facts is a waste of brain space, I see now that there is huge value in understanding people and society over the years. The way we've viewed the world in reaction to historical events, and how one generation pushes off of the previous one, etc.

Understanding the past contextualizes the present, and perhaps even the future. Since so many things in life are cyclical, it also makes it easier to spot re-emerging trends and ways of thinking. To be able to say definitely, this decade was defined by this, and in that decade people believed this will be handy.

A couple random, unrelated things to wrap up.

1) This commercial for Logitech warms my heart. Kevin Bacon is just so cute playing Kevin Bacon's #1 fan. It teeters on the edge of being too blatant, but his character's mannerisms keep it authentic.



2) Happy holidays from the Kim siblings.


3) I'm 25! Thanks to everyone who emailed, Facebook shout out-ed, and texted warm birthday wishes. I had a great day, full of good eats and sweets.

1 comments:

Liz said...

cute photo! that's where we all were for your surprise 16th! 9 years goes by too fast.