365 days of strategic thinking

Thursday, November 25, 2010

223) Think Thank Thunk



Is it too cliché to make a list of things I'm thankful for? I feel the same way about Thanksgiving as I do January 1. It's a great sentiment to set aside a day to be thankful or to make resolutions, but ideally we'd be thankful every day, resolve to be better every day. But for some reason we (myself included) need a special occasion to do so.

In that spirit, here's this year's list, in no particular order:

1) Family and friends. Anyone who doesn't list family and friends as number 1 on their things-I'm-thankful-for list is considered a social pariah, the Grinch who flaked on Thanksgiving. In all seriousness, this year I am especially thankful for my family for all the support they've provided during my move, no matter how much they wish I was closer. And all my friends in CA who sent me off with dinners and well wishes, and who continue to check up on me. And my friends in NY who have welcomed me with open arms, helping me gain some semblance of footing in the city.

2) Johannes Leonardo. My freelance job keeps me sane. It lets me interact with awesome people on a daily basis. And they recognize me as a planner, which is the most amazing feeling.

3) Strength. Somehow I found it within myself to leave a great life in LA and move to NY sans job. It still sounds crazy when I type it out like that. (Probably shouldn't get into it - ironically not feeling that strong today as I spend my first Thanksgiving away from home. Thinking about what I left behind is making me weepy. Blah, I feel like every time I get down, I write about it, so it seems like I'm in a constant state of unhappy. It's quite the opposite, I swear!)

Hm, I didn't intend for the list to be so serious. I was going to throw in things like the 6 train, the wall of street art on Spring St. and Bowery, and chocolate croissants from Ceci-Cela. And of course, I'm thankful for everyone who reads The Plan. I started this blog for myself, but it's nice to know that what I write is being read, and that I'm not just talking to myself in some remote corner of the Internet.

Note on the photo - I partially curled my hair for the first time in over a decade for my adopted Thanksgiving dinner. It's mostly fallen out by now, but a surprisingly nice change of pace.

0 comments: