365 days of strategic thinking

Thursday, November 11, 2010

209) Forgive Me, Father

Tonight I had dinner with an old friend (we went to the same school from kindergarten through college) and among other things, we had an interesting conversation about sin. It came up because I've been toying with the idea of going to confessional purely as a social experiment. What would I say? In my mind I have little to confess, though I'm sure stricter Catholics would beg to differ by their standards. And more interestingly, what would be the response? Ten hail Mary's and I'm good to go? Or advice from a sagely spiritual guide?

To begin with, it's amazing that the importance of talking, of getting things off your chest was recognized so early on. Before psychology, before shrinks, this rudimentary form of therapy emerged as a founding principle of religion.

My friend's point of view is that at the root of all sin is selfishness, putting your needs in front of the needs of others. Take theft for example. By taking something that belongs to someone else, you are putting your needs ahead of his. The same thinking can be applied to murder, rape, coveting thy neighbor's wife. But what of more nuanced sins like swearing, drunkenness, and pre-marital sex?

Eek, it's two minutes until midnight here in NY. Will have to make this a two-parter.

0 comments: