365 days of strategic thinking

Friday, November 12, 2010

210) Forgive Me, Father II

Apologies for an abrupt ending to last night's post, I was distracted by an important phone call.

As I was saying, sin as selfishness. The whole concept of sin seems so antiquated, powerful only to those who believe. Reduced in the mainstream to the Pope's tirades against same-sex marriage, Las Vegas' pet name, and an advertiser's description of rich desserts.

I have to be honest with you - I have no idea where I was going with last night's post, and five and a half hours of sleep and a full day of work (see below!) hasn't shed any light. I thought I could meander my way through some random thoughts and hit on something, but no luck. Such is life.

(Mini aside - Big news though! I was brought on to freelance for a few weeks at a small agency called Johannes Leonardo. It feels great to be working again, especially in planning. I'm still interviewing and looking for a more permanent home in the meantime, but it's exciting to be applying the thinking and writing I try to practice here on an actual project. The thinking and writing that ironically, I'm falling flat on tonight.)

I leave you with something I thought was a great example of some uber-specific targeting. Yesterday, AgencySpy detailed Camel's latest line of cigarettes. Clearly aimed at the hipster crowd, these neighborhood-specific sticks are described like so: "It’s about last call, a sloppy kiss goodbye and a solo saunter to a rock show in an abandoned building.” Eek.

0 comments: