365 days of strategic thinking

Monday, October 18, 2010

185) NYCC



Last week, I offhandedly mentioned that I went to New York Comic Con in a mini aside. As the self-proclaimed "largest pop culture event on the East Coast," I think it deserves some attention. My good friend Evan was kind enough to snag me two all-access passes, one of which I gave to my other friend and Comic Con companion, also named Evan.

For those who are unfamiliar, Comic Con is a congregation of the latest and greatest in comics, graphic novels, anime, manga, video games, toys, movies, and television. To the outside observer and the press at large, it's the pinnacle of all things nerd. Those in plain clothes come and gawk at the costumed enthusiasts who come out in droves to mingle, pose and partake in what must be the event of the year.

A little taste for you:

New York Comic Con 2010 from Matt Hoverman on Vimeo.


As an appreciator of graphic novels, yet still very much an outsider, it's hard to write about Comic Con without sounding judgmental. I think this is reflected in a lot of the mainstream press coverage of the event. It's a catch-22 of sorts. By covering the convention, making "best of Comic Con costumes" photo slideshows, it emphasizes the marginalized "otherness" of attendees. But no coverage at all would mean further obscurity from the mainstream. The question is whether we the general public can objectively appreciate Comic Con, or if the experience is really for enthusiasts eyes only?

A few things to consider. First, the increasing presence of mainstream pop culture - for example, Ubisoft's Michael Jackson The Experience demo, or the booth devoted to the highly anticipated movie, Tron. Second, first-hand accounts of self-proclaimed Comic Con enthusiasts, like Adam Reisinger. Lastly, the most insightful take on NYCC I've read, Medium Anxiety: Culture Shock at New York Comic Con by Michael Thomsen.

And just for the record - I loved going to Comic Con.

0 comments: