365 days of strategic thinking

Thursday, October 14, 2010

181) Roommate for Rent

Looking for an apartment in New York sans job is a special kind of hell. Being judged by stranger after stranger is tough. I get it, no one wants to deal with a subletter who can't pay rent. But how can I convince them that I would have never shown up if I didn't have the means to pay for rent month after month? That I graduated at the top of my class, had a great full-time job for two years, have never missed a rent payment, and am job hunting my ass off as we speak? It's like trying to convince someone you're sane - you just end up sounding crazy.

I was hesitant to write about this tonight, seeing as I send the link to my blog as part of my reply to Craigslist ads, in order to convey some personality. To those who are considering me as a subletter - you know when people talk about how lucky they were to find an awesome random roommate off Craigslist? I'm one of those awesome randoms.

(Mini aside - Half of 365 is 182.5, so tomorrow's post is the half way point! Time flies.)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may be random . . . but you gooooo Natalie! Remember, nice guys (ahem, girls) finish first! (Ok, Ok, not the normal quote) But hey, I feel like good things are coming your way in the Big Apple, sweetie. Hugs, Robin (Mrs.K, Chris's Mom)