365 days of strategic thinking

Sunday, May 9, 2010

23) Hello from JFK

Let me start by painting a picture for you. Right now I'm sitting on the ground at JFK near an outlet, typing this entry on my cell phone. I'm hunched over, my eyes straining, as I curse the predictive type function and the general finger tip width to touch screen ratio. How I got to this point is a tragedy of technology.

After a much too quick dinner with my cousin and two Evans, I got on a train headed for the airport. It took a lot longer to get there, and by 7:30pm, I was resigned to the fact that for the first time in my life, I was going to miss my 8pm plane. In a last ditch effort, I decided to call the airline to see if I could switch flights.

First, I couldn't call until I was out of the subway, as I had no service. Once I was above ground, I called and was put on hold for ten minutes. After unsuccessfully communicating to the automated program that "YES" I wanted to "CANCEL RESERVATION," a live agent asked for my confirmation number. This info was buried in my email, which was not easy to search for and retrieve while keeping the agent engaged. Finally, after much scrambling and apologizing, she tells me that my flight has been delayed.

My heart soared, my fist pumped and I broke into a huge smile."That's great!" I exclaimed, "What time does it depart?"

"Midnight."

This is the kind of thing Alanis Morisette would mis-classify as ironic. Really, it's just plain bad luck.

So here I am with 3+ hours to kill. The premature joy of enjoying some quality internet time was quickly squashed by the $9.95 fee for wi-fi. Hence the post via cell phone. I would go type this somewhere more comfortable, but my phone is low on battery and needs to be plugged into an outlet. Hence my butt on the floor.

In our world where technology reigns, it's amazing how limiting it can sometimes be.

0 comments: