365 days of strategic thinking

Thursday, May 6, 2010

20) Photographer-phobic



I spent most of today traipsing around the city on foot. I stopped by the Chelsea Market, walked down Bleeker to Magnolia Bakery (WHAT, -cles of Narnia), and then canvased SoHo. I took my time, enjoying the sights, sounds and the gorgeous weather (it felt like LA temps - I'm being spoiled). Along the way, I realized something about myself. I am photographer-phobic.

Allow me to explain the term. I'll see something that I want to remember. Out comes my little Nikon Coolpix, a pocket-sized digital camera perfect for my purposes. Suddenly, I'll become self-conscious about taking the picture. What ensues is an internal battle of wanting to capture the picture in the most aesthetically pleasing way possible, and wanting to get it done quickly and discreetly. Externally, it's a shuffle dance of indecision.

The reason? No one wants to look like a tourist, even if you are one. A tourist implies someone who isn't from around here, and doesn't really belong. They don't know where they're going, and most likely are in your (the locals) way. Taking a picture of something insignificant to a local means you're not in the local know. Your rapt attention and desire to document is silently patronized.

The exception of course, is the artist, who takes pictures not for the location significance, but as an exploration of the subject itself. Ironically, the bigger and more pro the camera, the more acceptable it is. Taking time to set up shots, and getting down on the ground for a low vantage point will earn you more street cred. Instead of writing them off as tourists, locals may look twice to see if they themselves are missing something.

(Photo taken by me today in SoHo.)

1 comments:

Brent said...

If you really want hipster cred, use a Holga or some other crappy lo-fi toy camera. Of course this won't work if you actually want good photos.

*cringe*