365 days of strategic thinking

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

214) Visual Fandom


(Image from KikScore.)

A lot of brands have embraced and incorporated the Facebook "Like" button into their digital promotions. Walmart has been getting a lot of positive press from their Facebook CrowdSaver Offers, in which an amazing Walmart-esque deal goes into effect only after enough fans have Liked the offer. This seemingly simple, low effort transaction is a tit for tat trade - visual brand advocacy for saved dollars.

Visual is the keyword. The Like button ensures that other people will be privy to your fandom. In Walmart's case, at least 5,000 people's news feeds will cheerfully announce that, "[Your name here] Likes Walmart CrowdSaver Offer Acer Aspire One 10.1" Netbook PC with Intel Processor and Windows XP Home." Ugh.

Here's another example. A few weeks ago I was excited to hear that there would be free ice skating at Bryant Park for one day courtesy of CLEAR 4G (there's nothing more romanticized to a CA native than ice skating outdoors in NY). The freebie required an RSVP, which to my annoyance came in the form of a Facebook Like. There was no ice skating for this New Yorker.

It used to be that brands asked for an email address in exchange for some goodie. Now all they need is some of your social media real estate. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but most of the time I'd rather give up my email address and have Gmail's spam filter work its magic than have something branded posted to my Wall. The same goes for Foursquare or Facebook Places check-ins. Even with the encouragement of in-store signage that tells me I'll get 5% off my purchase if I check-in, there's still an activation barrier that I can't get over. Sure, I want the discount, but most of the time not enough to 1) take the time to check-in on my phone, and 2) want everyone to know that I want the discount.

Judging from the success of Walmart's CrowdSaver Offers, and the number of brands jumping on the check-in train, there are those who are willing to deal with Wall clutter if it means a good deal. Maybe I'm just overly private and sensitive about feeling like I'm being used as a marketing tool. I'd love to see some numbers on success rates - ex. how many people checked in versus how many people entered the store.

0 comments: