365 days of strategic thinking

Monday, April 11, 2011

360) But What If?



I was lucky enough to snag my friend Jesse for brunch while he was in town (check out his music project, Imaginary Friend above). We caught up on things, and ended up having a discussion on deal sites like Groupon (spurred by a very inappropriate text message I received from a gentleman at SXSW - another story for another blog). I've written before about deal sites, and my personal barriers to purchase.

And yet, I still wake up to an inbox of at least three different deal sites, Groupon included. Why I don't just unsubscribe is simple. It's just like trying to clean out your closet. Sure, you haven't worn that sweater in three years, but what if the perfect occasion arises and you've tossed it? It's the "what if" that keeps the sweater snugly tucked away in the bottom drawer. (I ashamedly held onto a pleated plaid skirt for years in the off chance I'd need it for a themed party. No joke. It's gone now.)

The same applies to deal site emails. Sure, I've never actually bought into a Groupon deal, but what if there's a killer deal on something I'd actually want someday in the future? The psychological what if hump is hard to get over.

(Mini aside - 5 days!)

3 comments:

Evan said...

I haven't signed up for the deal sites, but I feel this is a pure play on the "risk / reward" scale. There's little risk to staying subscribed, save for a tidal wave of emails, and there's potentially a huge reward to be had for associating with that risk. Low risk, high reward? Call up Madoff! {terrible I know...} And...I guess LivingSocial is already onto something re: pyramidalesque schemes...

Matt said...

I think a lot of people feel the same way about daily deal sites. Once in a while there are ones that are almost like free money on Amazon or B&N that might make it worth reading the emails each morning.

Perhaps you can just sign up for a service like Yipit that will aggregate them into one?

Jen Ostrich said...

Um, this song is amazing. I may have to post on my blog...who is he so i can give credit?!?!